[pp.int.general] The Piratebay

Maxime Rouquet maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
Tue May 18 18:39:25 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:31 PM, <quemener.yves at free.fr> wrote:

> The legalization of non-commercial filesharing is a common reclamation of
> so many pirate parties...
> Which of them do not endorse this ?

The only problem with that statement, is that TPB website displays
advertisment. So, it is not exactly "non-commercial" filesharing as long as
you consider the website, because they make money (no problem with the
tracker and other stuff on this point).

I think all pirates will agree that "nobody earns money" sharing should
become legal and should suffer no restriction. And "somebody sells" sharing
should stay regulated on some points, for example to avoid that someone take
your creations and sell them without giving you anything back.

The middle situations are not that simple, depending on many factors. But a
sure thing is that if it became legal to distribute other's creation or help
people sharing it while gaining money with advertisment, the danger would be
that many televisions, radios and others would stop sharing advertisement
earnings with the creators. I am not sure things should go that way.

That could be a reason for some of us to be against full support to TPB's
website (once again, I would see trouble only with the website).

However, given the actual way of proceeding of the mafiaa and others
(intimidation, corruption, and absolutely no questioning about their
obsolete and monopoly-based business model), and given all they do for
freedom and filesharing, I really do not see TPB as the bad guys here.

And it is not like if they were given any way to reward creators of most of
the files shared thanks to their website.

On another point, about the debate of putting or not our flags on TPB's
website, I do not see why we would be responsible of them showing or not
support for us.

There are a few people supporting the Pirate movement I cannot stand. But I
am strictly against the idea of making them take out their PP shirt, they
are free of supporting us even if I do not like them.