[pp.int.general] PPi ask Anonymous to stop Payback

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 23:30:56 CET 2010

On 11/20/2010 5:24 PM, Jurgen Rateau aka JaRrr wrote:

> Thanks for this explanation Andrew.
> BTW, we didn't hear from yours over here in Belgium. As such, a quick
> check showed most of the other Pirate Parties didn't get any message
> from the PPUS or PPUK regarding this topic either.

Sorry, I tried contacting the parties and leaders I knew first. At the
end, it was taking lots and lots of time, and in the end many of those I
was speaking to, especially mainland europe parties, were not in favour,
or just didn't seem interested, so it was a sort of 'two-and-now, or
more-later' decision on my part.

> Hence at a personal level I can appreciate the PPUS and PPUK
> initiative but would have liked it without the personal marketing,
> ranting, blaming, fingerpointing and labeling. Not helping and not
> very respectful.

I call things exactly as I see them. Always have. sometimes it comes
across as disrespectful, but then, respect has to be earned. At the very
least I hope you always know where you stand with me.

> And you've always very welcomein our mailboxes.

thank you

Andrew

> Regards,
>
> Jurgen
> PPBe
>

> On 20/11/2010 16:56, Andrew Norton wrote:
>> On 11/20/2010 10:47 AM, Choms wrote:
>>> I think our friends missed send it to the list, so I'll send it ^^
>

>> http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-parties-use-influence-to-halt-operation-payback-101120/
>
>> Was nothing to do with PPI (isn't their main job to just run half as
>> many conventions a year, as before it was 'formed' anyway?). It was a
>> USPP-led initiative. I asked many other party leaders for their
>> involvement, some were afraid to go against anon, others actively
>> supported O:P and others felt that the little kids involved would just
>> go "HA MoralFags".
>
>> Meanwhile, it's temper-tantrum actions like O:P, taking down websites
>> temporarally (which is considered a felony in the US, and the FBI is
>> investigating) which helped the internet-censoring COICA out of
>> committee the other day. Ultimately, O:P has achieved NOTHING (except
>> for a very lucky break with ACS:law early on, and which only sped up
>> it's downfall, rather than anything more). "Oh no, our site's down for 6
>> hours, oh dear - look they've stopped it's back up now"
>
>> It's just giving people an excuse to pass more laws. It feeds the
>> knee-jerk reaction of the ignorant, while giving no long-term results.
>> Plus, we as parties are supposed to be ABOVE it. We're not stupid little
>> script kiddies, and nor should we let the ignorant little fscks destroy
>> any work we can do with their stupidity.
>
>> Thanks why we wrote the letter.
>
>> Andrew Norton
>> USPP, Legal Office.
>

>>> Greetings.

Pirate Parties International - General Talk
pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net