[pp.int.general] File Sharing in Space, baloon fork.

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 21:11:50 CEST 2010

On 10/19/2010 2:23 PM, Erik Lönroth wrote:
> This is the continuation of the discussions about launching a "vessel"
> of some sort.
>
> The old subject was: "File Sharing in Space"
>
> That thread has drifted somewhat, so I would like to fork it.
>
> First of all, I love that alot of people are engaged in the discussion
> and pushing in alot of "how" and "what" etc. BUT, since its way to
> difficult for me at the present to coordinate and even to digest alot
> of it, I have to stick with a reasonable plan that I can manage at
> present. There has been alot of twists on this in the previous
> discussion: "A boat", "A rocket", "A zeppeline" and I think that
> Andrew Norton proposed a bunch of other stuff. All of those are
> offcourse super-cool, but for me - all of them too difficult to manage
> as a project. I am not competent enough for such a project yet as I
> lack the knowledge about too many things about it. The future of this
> project, version 2 if you like, might go further...

Well, I proposed a boat initially.My thoughts are ths

The vehicle (the balloon) and the payload (the 'site') are two seperate
things. The balloon system is best tested with just weights first (so if
it all goes bad, we've lost some weights, not expensive electronics)
while the site side can be tested in an easily accessible environment
that has similar challenges, just like a boat.

I wasn't giving it as an aim, most as an intermediate testbed step for
the site-side, which also has historical parallels.

Andrew