[pp.int.general] File Sharing under water

basti at tirsales.de basti at tirsales.de
Thu Oct 21 15:03:13 CEST 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:54:43 +0200, kartan <kartantest at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> What’s about building an ISP underwater in the international waters?
There
> has to be a place where the ground lies in an acceptable depth. In
compare
> with the other options like satellite, boat or balloon this could be
> interesting for peering with other ISPs cause theoreticly you could
reduce
> the required length of underwater cables. And besides that it's more
> durable
> than everything that moves.

That would be pretty expensive .. salt water has some very annoying
properties (e.g. its salty and its wet) - it corrodes metal, any small leak
in a housing WILL lead to failure, service costs are very high, etc
As a diver I'd love the challenge - as a sysadmin ... I would not ;)

Apart from that I have absolutely no idea what the international laws
regarding submerged ISPs would be ... Submerged operations tend to be
somehow risky with respect to international treaties (e.g. conservation of
natural space) - just look at the Arctic waters.

regards,

Sebastian / Tirsales