[pp.int.general] filesharing in space

B0rg b0rg at ib0rg.net
Fri Oct 22 15:48:55 CEST 2010

I mostly agree with what you said.

The idea of putting a server somewhere where it cannot be touched sounds
more like a publicity stunt than anything which could actually work in a
technical sense. The server must always be connected and that connection
uses an already existing infrastructure. Disconnecting a server in that
situation would just be a question of controlling the infrastructure it
connects through.

Also, if the server is outside of any national law, well, let's just say
accidents can happen very easily.

I believe we are aiming at the wrong target as the source of this problem.
It's impossible to be on the internet right now without falling under
control of a bunch of entities, from ISP's, AS's up to governments.
At the political level we are fighting to keep the internet as free as
possible. This is done at the level of governments.

What this ideas of sending servers to where they can't touch them try to
accomplish is to do the same at the technical level. Put technological
measures in place to assure that the internet is actual as free as possible
so that, even with oppressive laws, it will be very hard to control it.
Darknets, encryption, p2p protocols are all technical means to achieve that.
But they all have to work on top of the lower layers which compose the
internet. Cables and routers are owned. Everything is dependent on DNS has
you mentioned. Basically, the internet is not a p2p entity as people seem to
think. Or at least there are a very small number of actual peers composing
it.

So what do I think are some plausible solutions for this problem? How do we
turn internet into a more distributed system? An actual p2p DNS would be
great. Supporting the many open wireless communities appearing all over the
place should also be a priority. Aiming at creating alternative
infrastructures for the internet. Distributed infrastructures. Of course an
hobbyist wireless mesh cannot compete with fiber network of an ISP but its a
start and it provides more freedom.
In my opinion these are the type of technical solutions we should be
pursuing. Anything which can be done to actually compete with the backbone
of the internet or to making it more distributed.

I don't know much about them but the PirateISP: http://pirateisp.net/ in
swedden seems to be a step in the right direction to. If there where funds
to invest this is in line with what I would support. Building new
infrastructures.

Just my 2 cents
Cumps

António Aveiro