[pp.int.general] UK action idea: in schools

Erik Lönroth erik.lonroth at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 21:29:25 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:
>    So, what would a campaign need to contain, to achieve that ?
>
> I am not sure.  Maybe some PPUK activists could think of a way
> that is feasible for them -- perhaps combining this with other
> activities.

I certainly hope the UK Pirates can do this. But I would guess this
takes organizational skills, probably funding, support from people
etc. Organization for sure.

This is a very real problem for the Pirate Party. We are so very
un-organized, so we have a hard time doing even the simplest thing.
How I wish this could change.

>    If I would host a lecture on the topic "Copying is good", getting
>    people and media there is a matter of who shows up as speaker,
>    location etc. Would you do that RMS?
>
> I think I will be in the UK in March, giving speeches in several places.
> If I go there, I will talk about this.

I live in Sweden and my local Pirate Party group are planing to
perform a "School Seminar Tour" later. Perhaps next year. We will
visit as many schools locally we can, probably limited by which ones
lets us in.

Our ambitions are simply to "teach" schools what the Pirate Party
School-politics are about. We will prepare material for all sorts of
academic levels, but the focus is on:

"How our core values can affect the schools in reality for the
better." (Or something like that)

This is easy, because we do in fact already have some substance to
this in Sweden. How unbelievable this might seem, it comes from our
national level guys (amazing):

* Access to one computer for every student.
* Free access to internet for these computers.
* No copyright laws should apply in schools.
* ... more.

Our work is mostly to find the good arguments, the pedagogical
approach, enthusiasm and nice looking presentations so that the
message can be digested for various groups of listeners! Great fun!

For this "tour", we definitely see that it will be extremely difficult
to get access to higher-education institutions. Such as "universities"
and similar. For this purpose we could need profiles like yourself to
deliver the content. Mainly because you can get us that access. There
are others off-course.

> But if this depends on me, I will be a limiting factor.  I can only be
> in one place at any time, and there is only so much I can do.  So it
> would be ideal if a way can be found that doesn't involve me.

Now, this does not depend on you. What it might depend on however is
if PPI - in this forum-of-less-than-average-intelligent-people (like
myself in the very low end) could PRODUCE a "real world, real issues,
stuff that matters agenda for schools", that is alligned with our core
values. An international Pirate Party Educational Manifest, covering
real world changes matters for schools.

Say that I could bring this with me, take it into the local
kinder-garden and pre-schools and deliver it. Here. Close to me. With
not that much effort. Knowing this happens in the whole world. That
would be significant for real.

This is where YOU (RMS) can deliver, the same thing, but probably in
high profile universities, institutions and places I probably don't
even know exist. Delivering the same message to others.

Rodrigo could walk Spain, Matt could tour some city in USA, Andrew
could get his ass up from his electronics and do UK, Rickard Falkvinge
can bother KTH in Stockholm, Brazil, Netherlands etc. Giving the same
message. I think this is also something we who uses Internet so much
also have an advantage. We CAN organize this, if we want to. We don't
need to fly in an expensive business class ticket to talk to our
"Party allies". We can use this modern thing called "mailinglist" and
"internet". Use this forum to create international politics and
formulate arguments and content that is derived from "us", whom ever
we are.

Anyway, if we here (PPI) can formulate the message for schools, we can
get it out there. Get people to understand and hopefully agree with
us.

.... and when you speak, people listen. Thats why you matter -
regardless if you like it or not.

I so hope this could end up in a real thing. When we got that, you are
welcome here in Sweden to give a nice little lecture and this time
talk about schools and education.

People listen to you. Use that.

/Erik

P.S. The former Swedish "Prime minister" - Göran Persson said he only
used his computer once - to send an email. I so hope he lied.