[pp.int.general] DNA: Open source, privacy, patents and common wealth

Patrick Mächler patrick.maechler at pp-international.net
Tue Sep 7 00:21:20 CEST 2010

Dear pirates,

I'd like to start a discussion about that whole field of whether DNA
can be/should be privatized (e.g. to avoid possible discrimination as
seen in the movie GATTACA) or rather as open as possible for reasons
of security & common wealth. It's actually a cumulation of pirate
topics that I have realized to see just recently.

Personally I haven't really made up my mind yet and I don't think
anyone of you already has; BUT - I think it is really important to
start discussing this issue. Actually I don't think that we will come
to a common conclusion very soon. AFAIK it's a little bit of an
ethical dilemma, especially for pirates; because I think it's not as
easy as with the data that we're usually talking about such as emails
vs inventions. Also so far patents may have been one of the few
reasons why DNA has been publicly published at all. So I think we're
better off to start this discussion ASAP...

So to start I'll just post my link collection

The Technium - Open-Source DNA
http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2009/01/open-source_dna.php

Eugene Thacker - Open Source DNA?
http://www.noemalab.org/sections/ideas/ideas_articles/pdf/thacker_osdna.pdf

Eben Moglen - Gene patenting and free software: a breakthrough
http://opensource.com/law/10/4/gene-patenting-and-free-software-breakthrough

Michael Tiemann - GPL for Artificial Life?
http://opensource.com/business/10/5/gpl-articifial-life

Drew Endy - Open Source Biology
http://itc.conversationsnetwork.org/shows/detail663.html

scientificcomputing.com - Open Source DNA: Mathematical Formula
Protects Genetic Privacy
http://www.scientificcomputing.com/news-DA-Open-Source-DNA-Mathematical-Formula-Protects-Genetic-Privacy-092009.aspx

- pat