[pp.int.general] Swiss Federal Court ruled

Joonas Mäkinen joonasd6 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 17:19:30 CEST 2010

Whoa, fascinating!

This coudl prove to be a good reference when talking about the case of
warning/blackmail letters and disclosing filesharers' personal data...

2010/9/8 Pascal Gloor <pascal.gloor at partipirate.ch>

> Dear Fellow International Pirates,
>
> Today something unexpected happened, we're not yet sure of all implications
> it has.
>
> The Swiss Federal Court ruled against Logistep AG (working for the IFPI,
> collecting IP addresses data linked with shared content). IP addresses are
> now part of "personal data" equal to your name, your phone number, your
> social security number (and so on). Personal data is very well protected in
> Switzerland as you may know. Logistep has announced they will move ASAP to
> Germany since their activity is now illegal in Switzerland.
>
> Having now IP addresses recognised as personal data has a quite large
> impact. "Someone" is not allowed to publish your IP linked to an activity
> (think at anonymous edits of the wikipedia, think at webalizer stats, think
> at mailinglists that publish your IP!).
>
> As you may know, 'Downloading' is legal in Switzerland while
> 'Uploading/Sharing' is not. But now, since the IPs are protected by law, one
> is not allowed to collect this information anymore, even if collected
> outside Switzerland, it cannot be used in court in Switzerland. This makes
> Switzerland, virtually, a P2P paradise.
>
> The bad news is, that our parliament will urge itself to make a new law to
> "solve the sharing problem".
>
> that's for the news, here's a link in english:
>

> http://www.canadianbusiness.com/markets/market_news/article.jsp?content=D9I3Q6500
>
> There's more, just google after "logistep'.
>
> See you,
> Pascal
>

> ---
> Pascal Gloor
> Vice President of the Pirate Party Switzerland
> http://www.partipirate.ch

Joonas "JoonasD6" Mäkinen
Vice chairman (international affairs), Piraattinuoret.fi

Faculty of Science
University of Helsinki

mobile +358 40 700 5190
Twitter, Facebook, Skype, IRC: JoonasD6