[pp.int.general] Swiss Federal Court ruled

Pascal Gloor pascal.gloor at partipirate.ch
Wed Sep 8 18:52:44 CEST 2010

On 8 Sep, 2010, at 17:19, Joonas Mäkinen wrote:

> Whoa, fascinating!

It's a whole new world ;-)

> This coudl prove to be a good reference when talking about the case of warning/blackmail letters and disclosing filesharers' personal data...

Yes. Warning letters are now illegal. Not the letter itself, but the way they got the IP is now illegal.

On 8 Sep, 2010, at 17:20, Eduardo Robles Elvira wrote:

> Just a bit of information: It's the same in Spain, IP addresses have
> been considered private too since 6 years ago. The implications of
> this are many as you say: it's difficult to catch people by their IP
> addresses. But also for example if you're running a web server that
> creates a log containing the ip addresses of your visitors, chances
> are you're out of the law too. Not that they enforce that, nor that it
> is possible to do it, but then there is the fact.

True. ISPs are a bit worried right now and many question are raised in the swiss ISP community (SwiNOG). I'm near to this community (or better said, fully in it) since 10+ years, I'm collecting all questions and will get answers from the lawyer that handled the case (Same lawyer as the Razorback case, maybe you remember Razorback, largest eMule server ever). I will publish this FAQ here too as soon as its done.

Cheers,
Pascal

---
Pascal Gloor
Vice President of the Pirate Party Switzerland
http://www.partipirate.ch