[pp.int.general] Origin of the term "piracy"

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 08:27:31 CEST 2010

On 14 September 2010 18:22, Heesob Nam <hurips at gmail.com> wrote:
> In some culture, the term "piracy" when it is translate into local
> language conveys very negative meaning. This is one of the challeges
> that I face when I try to build a "Pirate" party in my country.

What is the etymology of the word the copyright lobby is using for
infringers in Korea?

Copyright infringers weren't called pirates originally because they
were liked or seen as desirable. It was meant to be derogative. Now,
it probably is not, because the way copyright infringers have
reclaimed the word it's turned positive again.

We hear this from many, many countries around the world, but if it
helps "pirates" became the force of good in Sweden after a group of
20-somethings formed Piratbyran and the Pirate Bay and consistently
stood up for themselves in a cocky way.

/a