[pp.int.general] Bibliodiversity Day

Partido Pirata Argentino ppirataargentino at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 14:52:58 CEST 2010

September 21 Today is the beginning of spring in the southern
hemisphere, and is also the proposed day as "Day bibliodiversity":

"In the "manifesto" can be found on the Internet, independent
publishers question the traditional forms of circulation of books as
commodities. "We are not against the market, but does not work in
terms of adaptation without losing vitality of our projects," pose.
How do you manage to gain vitality and greater visibility within the
book market in which participants? "In market terms, we propose to
publish books focusing on supply rather than demand," responds Brunet.
"Large publishers edited responding to the demand, often identified by
market research publisher or smell. Thus, simply publish quick sale
offer products that meet existing fashion. Conversely, the independent
publisher aims to participate in the richest that has a culture that
is emerging, hence its catalog is also a creation. The existence of
independent publishing is the guarantee of bibliodiversity, search,
experimentation, opposition to the dominant culture as the only
cultural option. Proof of this is standard practice in major
publishers 'steal' authors independent publishers once they have
achieved notoriety, that is once they start to join the mainstream
culture. In that sense, we function as a sort of 'experimental
laboratory' for the world of publishing. That is our weakness and our
strength, "he admits."

More in spanish in:

http://eldiab.org/

And:

http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/suplementos/espectaculos/17-19340-2010-09-21.html

And Happy Spring!!! (we are in the south..)

Eduardo