[pp.int.general] Is PPI dead, or was it ever really born?

Rodger van Doorn Rodger.van.doorn at piratenpartij.nl
Mon Sep 27 22:03:19 CEST 2010

I usually tend to be very quiet on the mailinglists but sometimes I just
can't hold it in. Here are my two cents:

First off the Brussel convention was a disaster, I will be the first one to
admit it.
We could have spent our time so much better then to discuss statutes.
But to declare PPI still born is a premature statement.
Do you really think you can build a global organisation in three years?
I mean the internet makes things go faster but not that fast.

Furthermore I think the Pirate Party of the Week (PPotW) is an alright thing
to do. I usually write a monthly piece in the Dutch newsletter about
international parties and can derive much from the PPotW. This again creates
awareness with the Dutch people. Being an international organisation is a
huge plus if you look at regular parties. But I think the board should
delegate the PPotW and point their energy towards other, bigger things.

I usually tend to be very quiet on the mailinglists but sometimes I just
can't hold it in. Here are my two cents:

First off the Brussel convention was a disaster, I will be the first one to
admit it.
We could have spent our time so much better then to discuss statutes.
But to declare PPI still born is a premature statement.
Do you really think you can build a global organisation in three years?
I mean the internet makes things go faster but not that fast.

Furthermore I think the pirate of the week(PPotW) is an alright thing to do.
I usually write a piece in the Dutch Newsletter about
international parties and can derive much from the PPotW. This again creates
awareness with the Dutch people. Being an international
organisation is a huge plus if you look at regular parties. But I think the
board should delegate the PPotW and point their energy towards other, bigger
things.

Let's look at it from an outsider perspective, a so called helicopter view,
and ask ourself a few things.

What do we have?
- As I see it we have a (now) official international organisation
- We have some infrastructure (the IRC, mailinglists, websites)
- we have a lot of contacts from all over the world
- We have some common goals and common interests
- We have a lot of things that we should improve

What do we want?
- We want a better world were people can freely share their culture
- We want the people to trust the integrety of their leaders
- we want medicines that really cure people affordable all over the world
- We want to secure our biodiversity to keep it safe for our children
- We want the common people to say what will happen to the world, not the
multinationals

What do we need to do to get there?
- We need likeminded people to support us and help
- we need to grow into a succesfull organisation which every citizen of the
world will know and trust
- we need to do research and put experts to work for us
- We need to defeat the lobbies that stand in the way

We have many powerfull adversaries, so please don't resort into squablling
amongst ourselves.
We are all in this ship together no mather if you live in Brasil, Iran,
Indonesia, the USA, Germany or the UK.
We have to set sail to better days. We got to have a common vision of a
better world.
having that vision and divining the path and the tools is the first step to
realising it.

Instead of just pointing at failures, point at the potential..and lets
expand our vision and realize it..

Just my two cents

2010/9/27 Rodrigo Pereira <rodrigo2kpereira at gmail.com>

> >> PP of brazil has expressed its deeply disinterest in PPI business
> >> on several occasions. In fact, you are the only one Pirate Party
> >> who flatly refused to answer the "Pirate Party of the Week" questions
> >> stating  that "there is nothing to tell about, since there is yet
> >> no Pirate Party in Brazil" - I can clear see, what are you referring to,
> >> when you refer to the "work that you not doing by yourselves"
>
> The questions were totally inappropriate. I tried to fill "the pirate
> party of week" questions but I could not. The political system in
> Brazil is different from europe. The questions do not made sense. And
> I don't saw sense in this questions. Sorry, what was the objective?
>
> For example, we sent a girl to  the conference in brussels and some
> forms to fill with questions about the pirate parties. The objective
> of this is know better the different political initiatives but few
> people responded the form. This did not work.
>
> Rodrigo Pereira.
> Brazil.

Rodger van Doorn
PP International Coordinator