[pp.int.general] Correct word usage for PP.

Maike Marrek listen at jaasnee.de
Sun Apr 10 16:01:07 CEST 2011

> The term "digital goods" shares a drawback with all other terminology
> taken from economics: it directs people to think in terms of economics
> rather than in terms of human rights.

Human rights are social as well as economic values. I agree with you: we
are living in a economic dominated world, where financial gains and
losses are the main mantras - not social values. IMO one historical
reason for this is that philosophy itself enabled this evolution,
because philosophers didn't get in dialogue with other academic
professions and moreover: society itself.

Paragraph-filling sentences with grammatical constructions, where even
the author himself sometimes stumbles, dozens of words with specific
philosophical definitions, which have to be laboriously worked out,
historical references - it's a matter of will & time, to follow these lines.

"Time is money" and/or time is quality of life. Whilst philosophers
discuss abstract constructions, other are just creating facts or
enjoying family, nature, consumption, whatever.

IMO it's time for philosophy to open its faculty by adapting current and
prevalent vocabularies - if philosophers want to be heard.

> I call them "published works".  Everyone will understand that term,
> which is much older and predates the tendency to look at life in terms
> of economics.
>
> As for "virtual assets", that is not equivalent to those other too.
> Its meaning is totally different.

Can't find some widely accepted economic definitions, seems to be a
legal buzzword like "intellectual property". What's about existing
definitions like "virtual goods" or "digital goods"? Regarding virtual
currencies, Pat could be right saying there's a lack of clear definitions.

> For instance, a digital audio recording that we might have a copy of
> could be called a "digital good", though I would prefer to call it
> a "published work".
>
> The copyright on that recording might be a "virtual asset",
> but the recording itself is probably not one.

In German economic terms copyrights are "Immaterialgüter" like legal
rights, probably there is an English equivalent.

> The copyright is not the same thing as the work.  Identifying them
> tends to lead people to believe that copyright policy is inherent in
> the works and cannot be changed.

Especially artists do know that it is not like that, because they
usually/sometimes/some of them are forced to subrogate their rights. But
artists do have problems with our claim "freedom to share copies of
published work". Regarding Maslow: if one has to fight for his
sustenance, it won't be useful for him to behave in an altruistic
manner. Or regarding Kant: do we want a law, that enables others to
disregard our own sustenance?

> Another problem with "virtual asset" is that it lumps together
> copyrights, patents, trademarks, and various other legal privileges.
> That is self-defeating.  We need to teach people to see them as
> separate issues.

Economic terms could be helpful, because they've always treated these
issues separated.

--
a one-armed man comes into a flower shop and says
what flower expresses

and the florist says: the white lilly.

Laurie Anderson - Home of Brave