[pp.int.general] Pirate Party of Germany replaces proprietary software with FLOSS(?)

Mirco da Silva mirco.da.silva at piracy-international.org
Tue Aug 2 15:13:27 CEST 2011

Am 02.08.2011 13:47, schrieb Sebastian Nerz

> 3) The federal board of the Pirate Party Germany would have loved to use
> FLOSS.
> We would glady support the development of a FLOSS-alternative

So, do you support an application to the national board and the national
convention to charge the FLOSS-Workgroup with the replacement of
proprietary party administration tools with FLOSS-Solutions?

> So far not a single team and/or developer has contacted us wanting to
> develop a solution.

I've done a call for participation two and a half hours ago - via
status.net/ident.ca of course ;) - and until now three (german) devs
showed up their interest and asked for the specs.

BTW, here are the specs (in german)
http://wiki.piratenpartei.de/wiki//index.php?title=IT/Buchhaltungssoftware/Lastenheft

A call for translation has been sent also, please await an english
translation here within the next days:
http://wiki.piratenpartei.de/IT/Buchhaltungssoftware/Specifications

> The Pirate Party Germany exists for 5 years - so far
> we haven't produced a solution.

We are working on it. Now. ;)

> But we need one and we need it *now*. So
> right at this moment we don't have any alternative to using
> closed-source software.

We are 12K pirates in DE since 2009.
OMG, how did we survive in the last two years?

Dear Sebastian, please help us to replace the current proprietary
solution with FLOSS - step by step - but asap.

One step would be/have been an export-function for the data to migrate
to FLOSS some day, that I cant find in the specs so far. :-/

> YES we would love to use FLOSS. YES, we would like to support a
> FLOSS-development.

Cool, so please just do it.

> I'm looking forward to seeing a FLOSS that can handle membership,
> finance controlling, donation-controlling (and certified donation
> receipt-building accepted by the tax authorities) usable by non-nerds.

I guess the state administrations that we demands to use FLOSS have way
more higher standards that must be fullfilled.

Should we develope a state admistration module as a side project?

> But you will excuse if I dont believe in it.

So, how can you support something, that you dont believe in?

Referring to our political agenda, too?

o_O

> 4) In order to keep this list in workable conditions I invite critics to
> discuss internal affairs of the Pirate Party Germany on our own lists.

In order to make the developement of a FLOSS to adminstrate pirate
partys everywhere, I invite you to make this an international pirate
party issue, and count on the support you've pledged here.

> Its annoying that
> we spend more time discussing tools then we spend discussing e.g. the
> european plans to monitor bank accounts and flight-plans...

ACK, so lets go ahead and solve these issue asap.

How many (german pirate partys) money can we exspect from you (the
national board) to get the international developement started?

cheers,
mirco