[pp.int.general] Pirate Party of Germany replaces proprietary software with FLOSS(?)

Sebastian Nerz basti at tirsales.de
Tue Aug 2 16:21:19 CEST 2011

 On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 16:06:21 +0200, Marco Confalonieri wrote:
> Il 02/08/2011 15.39, Sebastian Nerz ha scritto:
>>
>> I do believe in FLOSS. I just don't believe that (at this moment) we
>> are capable of developing a party-wide accounting tool. We simply
>> dont
>> have the manpower - and we have much more important things to do
>> (e.g.
>> politics because we are a party and not a software-company ;) )
>
> A FLOSS tool like that would be useful for all Pirate Parties, not
> just
> the German one. I think that, even if it is not a "core" issue for
> the
> pirates parties, it could benefit all of the PPs, so I think members
> and
> sympathizers of many parties could participate in the development of
> such a tool and their home parties benefit from it.

 Of course. And - as I've said - I'd welcome such a tool. And if you
 like
 to develop it: Please just do so! And if at any time it is ready, it
 would
 be a very helpful tool.
 It's just ... not as easy as most people think. A complete finance- &
 donation-controlling toolsuite with support for hundreds of regional
 divisions, a complete set of access-restrictions, membership-management,
 certification by the tax authorities and auditing companies, ...
 Easy to use (smaller regional divisions normally don't have access to
 trained accountants, but we need a fully-fleged double bookkeeping,
 adhering to the standards set by the german parliament) with extensive
 reporting and exporting-functionality (transparency of donations), the
 possibility to build a complete super-regional report, etc etc etc

 It is far more then most large companies need. It is *not* easy. But of
 course it would be a very, very interesting tool for any small NGO!

 I would be avid to see this piece of gold - but please be aware that
 you will need *years* with a couple of very competent programmers and
 accountants. And in later stages (and before e.g. the Pirate Party
 Germany could use this software) it will take several months (if not
 years) to get the needed certifications ... I seriously dont want to
 stop you - quite the contrary - I just want to reduce expectations and
 avoid disappointment.

 regards,

 Sebastian

 PS I appologize for always speaking in the point of view of the Pirate
 Party Germany. But I dont know the laws in other countries regarding
 party-financing and finance-controlling.