[pp.int.general] PPI GA Prague / Video Conference System for remote delegates

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 01:16:37 CET 2011

On 12/27/2011 7:02 PM, Rok Andrée wrote:
> First of all i would like to point out that i am a programmer and a big,
> big fan of free and opensource software and have pushed for the
> inclusion of these points into the main part of the Slovenian PP program.
>
> Now to the point. PPI is at a tipping point and seeing how the GA is
> again in Europe (i strongly pushed for non-eu GA, but as to my
> information CZ was the best choice) anything but a perfect system that
> enables delegates not on site to participate /fully and equally/ will
> probably be the/final straw/. Non-European delegates can probably
> confirm this.

Absolutely.

I ran for the board last year. I never even got a chance to speak or
present my candidacy AT ALL. Then we had that Kangaroo 'Court of
Arbitration' filled with just people who were there with no attention to
remotes. There were points we tried to make, and were ignored. it's like
we were watching a TV broadcast of poor parliamentary debate. We were
spectators not participants (and like a TV network, our ability to
follow the details came in last place, when it worked).

> To this effect we require a very, very good software that will enable
> proper moderation*and work without fail.* Even if we went with audio
> only, mumble (like skype) is a very, very bad option as it does not
> enable moderation. For this /we require a professional system/ because
> this is no longer a group of people drinking beer and debating but a
> real situation with real stakes. A audio+video system that shows the
> live streams from not-on-site-attendants at the event is
> much preferred as it helps with the feeling of cooperation and
> inclusion. And remember the main and most important purpose of PPI is to
> bring pirate parties together.
>
> I would suggest to the board that when selecting the software to use it
> focuses on *level of inclusion, reliability and ease of use.* Cost and
> cross-platform and cross-system support should be of secondary
> consideration.
>
> (installing flash, using it and uninstalling it really isn't that big of
> a deal. *Free Software is a vision not a religion. Holding to your
> ideals at all costs is counter productive. Be flexible.)*

Exactly. If it doesn't work, and doesn't do the job properly, then it's
useless. If you accept some ideology (that is NOT even an actual Pirate
ideology) and constrain yourself to it, then all you're doing is
reducing your effectiveness. PPI (and Pirate Parties in general) are NOT
the FSF or some other FOSS group.

> Maybe paying a professional to guarantee the success of this video
> conference mite not be a bad idea.
>
> Lp
> Rok Andrée
> Piratska stranka Slovenije - Slovenian Pirate Party

- --
Andrew Norton
http://ktetch.blogspot.com
Tel: +1(352)6-KTETCH [+1-352-658-3824]