[pp.int.general] Egypt Help

bbox-gs borgbox.drone.guinness1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 02:57:38 CET 2011

I pulled of this after contributing to orienting about 5 useful & skilled individuals.

tweeted some solutions to AnonymousIRC instead - search borgboxgs1 on that feed if interested.

turns out the Skype discussion channel went dark.  The group seemed to consist only of Americans, except yours truly and one or two others that had talent in this wireless mesh space.

Shervin is a $tartUp business guy with what looks to be close ties to Washington.  I heard some name dropping "HC" ?!?!?
in my skype chat logs ;)
freakin weird...
They seem to have found funding and set up a company in 24 hours - or so I was led to believe ;)
then went dark, or got busy...

bottom line.  they are working on making OLSR mesh routing protocol work on laptops either by installing an executable they provide, or run a Live CD/ USB boot key.  hmmmm

my suggestion is don't install anything without validation from trusted security groups or personal analysis. Note: your hard disk data will be exposed in this scenario.

and

to protect the data on your hard drive from exposure using the live cd or USB key option, make sure you have full disk encryption BEFORE booting into a Live  CD or USB key.

After all, people will be meshing through your gear.  who knows what silly shenanigans creative/bored individuals might try.

this is kind of like that eepc or one laptop for every child deal, where all these laptops are connected to each other, that are within proximity of course.

best option I can see so far is to flash existing third party firmwares that run OLSR mesh protocol onto access points (check compatibility - mostly Atheros chipsets).  this can set up local network in a snap, for local collaboration. add a couple of dial-up devices (in the case of Egypt) for multi gateway and somewhat load balanced Internet access.  will be slow, but out if government control.  dial up may need to be daisy chained from outside demonstration 'cutoff' zones. as I understand it, landline access could be found.

and try to use https/ssl, VPN or ssh if you are lucky.

the wifi communities have had open mesh like firmwares running well for quite some time now.  no need to reinvent the wheel.

olsr.org, of course the Freifunk crew in Berlin and OpenWRT have been leaders in community free wifi for some time now.

I realize all this comes too late for Egypt. Let's not kid ourselves, people may need a solution somewhere else and possibly some time soon.

Support People
Governments should know better
Nobody likes a Tyrant

cheers