[pp.int.general] Patent system similar to GPL?

Maike Marrek listen at jaasnee.de
Sat Feb 26 13:41:42 CET 2011

Gareth Nelson schrieb:
> There is something similar in the idea of licensing patents for free
> use to the general public - not copyleft, but perhaps more comparable
> to BSD-type licenses.

Pharmaexecutive: New Insights Into Open Innovation

"A recent survey into Open Innovation (OI)¹, involving interviews with
business development and R&D directors from 30 leading global companies
in the healthcare and manufacturing industries, has led to some
revealing insights into attitudes to and challenges resulting from OI,
from the potential pitfalls to the opportunities presented by working
with external expertise. For the survey, OI was defined as "how the
company works with partners, agencies and other companies outside your
organization to foster innovation."

http://pharmexec.findpharma.com/pharmexec/Europe/New-Insights-Into-Open-innovation/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/660965?contextCategoryId=48182

As far as I remember there already exists a project with some prominent
contributors like GSK, which tries to collect some patents in the field
of HIV. If someone is interested in further information I'll take a
closer look for some relevant articles. In general there actually seems
to be a need for collaborative R&D projects within the pharmaceutical
industry because the development of new medicines requires more
technologies & knowledge & patents than one company owns at its own.

[1]
http://www.paconsulting.com/our-thinking/what-does-open-innovation-mean-to-pharmaceutical-research-and-development-and-how-can-it-be-realised/
the report is (presumably) available after leaving your business contact
details