[pp.int.general] Patent system similar to GPL?

Gareth Nelson gareth at garethnelson.com
Mon Feb 28 11:39:40 CET 2011

If you insist that someone using your patent licenses any patents they
hold, or even better you could insist that they place a copyright
license on any software that uses your patent which grants particular
freedoms, then it has a beneficial effect.
Even if you can't liberate ALL the patents that might apply, you can
at least liberate SOME of them.

As an example, suppose you get granted a patent on some critical idea
related to compiler design (it doesn't matter what). Someone writes a
compiler that uses that idea and patents a bunch of other related
ideas.
The end result is a compiler that infringes on multiple patents
including yours while the author also has a few unique patents of
their own.
Let's call the numbers: 10 patents from third parties, 10 from the
author, 1 from you
You license your patent to them under these terms: "You must offer a
free license to all your patents that are applicable to any product
using my patent using the same terms as I offer to you".
They license their patents as per those terms.
Due to this the general public have gained the free use of 11 patents
under a copyleft-style license that will keep them free.
There are still 10 they can not use, but you can't influence that either way.
Without the copyleft-type terms you can offer a general grant to the
public and they gain the free use of only 1 patent.

All things considered, it's better for the general public to gain free
use of more ideas even if you can't liberate all ideas covered by
patents. Rational decision theory would say we're bound to use the
pseudo-copyleft patent license if our goal is maximising the number of
ideas the public may freely use. Obviously a better name other than
copyleft needs to be used, but the same concepts can be used.