[pp.int.general] pp.international.general Digest, Vol 47, Issue 4

Core TX coretx at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 16:43:34 CET 2011

Due to time issues, i'll put my comments inbetween the lines.

This may sound like a silly question, but who put in offers to host the
> next conference?

Even during the last ones, offerings where made.
( Brazil, and the *Czech* republic did afaik. )

In order not to risk aggitated PP's it would have been proper conduct, if
the board had contacted all  pp's one bye one, and have held a proper
*conversation* with all of them.

> It seems that, once again, we're in a situation where the PPI Board
> asked for ideas and help, few people other than those with close ties to
> the Board responded (going off the wiki page here;
> http://int.piratenpartei.de/Conference-offers ) and so we have a result
> far from the ideal. However, given what happened last year, I think that
> a well-organised and planned conference in a non-ideal location might be
> better than a rushed one somewhere more diplomatic (not that the PPBe
> people didn't do a great job - more that we didn't know who was there as
> a delegate until after the conference had started).

PPBE did a great job. I take full responsability for all the #fail  during
the last conference.
As co-president, i redirected key responsabilities to people, and failed to
do quality control on their work.
I do have a reason, for my bad behaviour: I had to prepare for the NL
elections, where i was running for parliament, as the #1 candidate.

> Looking at the map of current Parties (there's one here
>
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/File:Map_of_Pirate_Parties_International_Members.svg
> ) it does seem that Europe has the greatest density of PPs, with no
> other continent having more than 4 - that would make it a logical
> choice. However, we (nearly) all have access to this wonderful thing
> called the Internet, which allows us to communicate near-instantly all
> around the world, and could be put to great use and lessen the need for
> a central location. However, an Internet-based conference would need to
> be a lot more carefully planned (and I would be happy to offer
> suggestions to any organisers based on my experiences of the last
> conference).

I agree, but we need concensus among parties here.
The board can't just say F**** the agreements made during the last
conference, and risk diplomatic relations to be damaged.
Also: the map that you are linking is severely outdated.

Anyways, it is now January, and the conference really should be held by
> June. So, allowing a month to let people book tickets and sort things
> out, it should be fully planned by the end of April. I don't know how
> many countries are 'represented' by people here, but perhaps it would be
> useful if people (particularly those disappointed with the current
> venues) could give your national Party leadership a strong poke and see
> if they would be interested in hosting a conference and try to get other
> options (I know at least one is already in the works). Of course, this
> really should have been done back whenever the call for venues went out...

PPI is a service provider, and all parties already have way to much work at
hand. PPI should be a catalyst, take workload of the national parties, not
add workload.
Just sending out some "calls", and waiting for some magic to happen is not
really proactive behaviour.

> Still, I think some people are expecting too much from PPI. There's been
> a lot of talk of the advantages of decentralisation recently - and at
> the moment, I think a decentralised Pirate movement is pretty useful.
> Few Parties currently have the resources to support a strong, central
> PPI, so if one is going to exist, it will likely be dominated by those,
> whereas all we really need from PPI at the moment is something to keep
> communication lines and discussions areas open (like this list, IRC
> etc.) - places where we can go to discuss international things and get
> larger scale stuff sorted out when needed. I get the feeling that when
> the PPI Board (or Coreteam before it) tries to get too involved in any
> one issue things get slowed down and end up more complex than they
> started (as with any bureaucracy, I guess) - the same seems to apply to
> individual Party stuff; not everything needs to go through the Party's
> leadership and be controlled by them.

- All taskforces are down, and we need them !
- We need coordination for the EU elections.
- We can safe resources on a joint scientific bureau
- NGO's want a single contact point, not a chat with all 50+ parties ( PPI
can relay 98% of the same data, and relay the other 2% )
- We can get subsidies

Personally, if no party objects, i'd like to see one PPI conference location
per continent.
And all sites having beamers with the other sites onscreen.