[pp.int.general] Agora Voting System for a Liquid Democracy at FOSDEM

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 08:10:56 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:32 AM, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:
> That in itself is a dangerous government policy.  It would be no
> problem if it were used only for voting, but it isn't, and that
> makes it very dangerous.

Hello:

I agree that it's dangerous, and we are "pioneers" in this kind of
thing because since the times of Franco we have had personal
identification cards (DNI) so people is used to that: wehave had DNI
for decades. But since it's something available and even legally
binding (a signature with DNIe), we'd be fooling ourselves if we
didn't take advantage of it. It's true that DNIe has big disadvantages
for privacy, but on the other hand it provides a very useful tool.

Of course, not even DNIe is 100% secure: you have the same kind of
problems that in general elections, being: those in government that
control the creation of new DNIe cards could create a fake cards and
vote for you, or they could even vote for unexistant or dead people if
they modify the census. As I said, no system is perfect.

Regards,
    Eduardo.