[pp.int.general] France : net censorship + European trial about P2P

Maxime Rouquet maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
Wed Jan 26 01:23:20 CET 2011

Dear pirates,

The French Pirate Party is following two cases that might interest you.

First, a French citizen[1] who was charged 20.000€ for file sharing has
decided to go up to the European Court of Human Rights. It could be an
opportunity for the ECHR to state in favor of file sharing, so if you
know about some jurisprudence that could go that way please feel free to
contact us[2].

Second, an major security law called LOPPSI[3] is about to be approved
by the Parliament. Among many topics[4] it introduces government
Internet address blocking, pretending to fight child porn. We may have a
chance to get this censored by the Constitutionnal Council[5].

At PP France, we have written an appeal to the Council to stopthe
Internet filtering in LOPPSI. As it is a legislative text, we have
published it[6] in a "public domain" equivalent licence[7].

Cheers,

Maxime Rouquet
Parti Pirate France

[1] You may have heard about James Climent when the famous French film
director Jean-Luc Godard gave him 1.000€ to help him pay for his trials.
You can find his blog (French only) at
http://etpaflapuce.blogspot.com/and his story in english at
http://torrentfreak.com/film-director-helps-finance-busted-file-sharers-legal-battle-100914/
[2] You can contact us at : contact at partipirate.org
[3] LOPPSI, Orientation and Programmation Law for the Performance of
Internal Security.
[4] online identity theft, surveillance cameras, police files, extended
police powers, private militias, restricted access to public data,
expropriation, etc...
[5] who had censored Internet access cutting off for filesharers in 2009
(HADOPI).
[6] you can find the text of the actual version here (French only) :
http://loppsi2.partipirate.org/saisine.php
[7] Creative Commons CC0, which also allows the opposition in Parliament
to freely modify it and use it to ask the Council before the law enters
in action.