[pp.int.general] Fwd: [FC-discuss] Fwd: Urgent -- Aaron was just arrested

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Sat Jul 23 08:56:28 CEST 2011

On 23.07.2011 03:55, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     The documents are not public. Their content is no longer protected by
>     copyright.
>
> Maybe that is true -- but is it relevant?  It seems to me that the principal
> issue, concerning the posting of these old magazines on the net,
> is not whether it is lawful, but whether it is right or wrong.
> And whether it is wrong that they are not available already.
>
> Violating an unjust law is not evil.

No, it's stupid. Changing unjust law is the right way. But that's just
my opionion. That why I joined the pirate party instead of founding a
guerilla troup.

>     Download documents from a nearly unrestricted system and
>     upload them is nothing you can be prowd of.
>
> Please don't minimize the wrong of JSTOR.  Most people are not allowed
> to access it.  Scholarly articles should be accessible to everyone,
> and everyone should be free to redistribute them.  JSTOR's entire
> purpose is to stand in the way of that.  It has no ethical reason to
> exist.

Well, withoug JSTOR there would be no access to the documents. I believe
that restricted access is better than no access. Of course free access
would be the best. But someone had to pay for that.

Christian