[pp.int.general] WIPO DG mentions Pirate Party in speech to Blue Sky conference

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 04:06:34 CET 2011

this is the longest rant you can possibly imagine. it's on the very
boring topic of patents, copyrights, trademarks, data protection, plant
breeding rights and trade secrets as tradeable goods and my concerns on
this topic.

>      for instance,
>      intellectual property rights are very much property rights, even "firm
>      assets" (note: FIRM) that can be used for assessing the risk of giving
>      someone a loan or the security in giving someone an insurance for giving
>      someone a loan.
>
> It sounds like this is a policy of bias in favor of the copyright
> industry (among others).  That is something we probably want to
> oppose.

OK. The way I see this is: it is valuable to oppose intellectual
property rights /as such/. Whether you do this by criticizing them
individually, or collectively does not matter. The benefit of sometimes
referring to them collectively is that they are all functioning as very
volatile firm assets. If you have a house, or a chair, or a piece of
land or a computer (all of which go under the label "property") you will
know its worth, you will see that worth degrade over time, you will be
able to establish the price or sales value of this property at any given
moment.

With intellectual property this is not the case. Many companies have
huge portfolios of intellectual property (often different kinds
combined, although we are seeing concentrations of specific intellectual
properties in specific industrial branches). The reason for this is,
that individually those intellectual properties are worthless: they
can't be valued. We do not know their exact worth in this moment. The
degradation of this type of property is unstable at best and varies
completely arbitrary, or devalues as it were. Only by "playing it safe"
by owning such a big amount of intellectual property that they could not
all possibly be useless at the same time can you make use of this asset.

This is also why we're seeing companies that have very similar patents
(I would guess, it's probably more likely due to sloppe patent and
trademark offices in such cases) for instance: one by one, they are not
worth so much, but in the stated or estimated size and value of the
portfolio they are very valuable. But an "exaggerated" size of a
portfolio in one company, doesn't reduce the usefulness of an
exaggerated portfolio in another company, so as far as the credibility
of one company goes on the market, this really doesn't matter at all.

It works, however, this way not only with patents, but also with
copyrights or trademarks. Trade secrets are becoming a larger part of
global business. Data protection. In Europe we have database rights
since 1997 which has benefitted Elsevier among other immensely, not
because it allows them to innovate, but because it essentially gives
them more property which they can trade or license.

Now, I see data protection and trade secrets as the two major concerns
right now: they are "new" players in the intellectual property trade
that i strongly oppose (regardless of under which law that which legally
is consiered intellectual property falls). Trade secret law and the ways
trade secrets have previously been used has been very distinct from the
way we use patents, copyrights, trademarks. Now they are not. And trade
secrets, as opposed to copyrights, patents and trademarks do not affect
only external actors (a company with assets rarely sues itself) but also
internal assets (employees or middle bosses that are suspected of having
been uncareful). Instead of making such misconduct into a matter of
educating or simply letting an employee go, they may now be subjects to
lawsuits. For minor breaches.

Data protection and sales of the same are usually just a way of
extending pharmaceutical or chemical patents. In theory they could also
be used in other businesses, say, if you have tested a specific security
feature (let's call it a GPL-licensed carlock mechanism with good, open
encryption) the results of which are the condition for being allowed to
sell it on a market. The crux here is that the code is free, and the
encryption is free, but the demands on the marketization of these
features are conditioned on test data which is not free, and not covered
by the license. That example is, of course, fictional, but I do know
that there are specific criteria that car manufacturers have to fulfill,
and if they require testing it is theoretically possible.,

These are not the sexiest issues you could imagine, but it's somewhat
possible that these tendencies can be "nipped in the bud".

I don't actually know how though. Therés no legislation coming up in EU
and most of this is regulated by contract law.

/a