[pp.int.general] Should Pirate Parties include the coming Swarm Economy as policy?

Philip Hunt cabalamat at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 19 20:19:26 CET 2011

On 18 March 2011 11:22, Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet)
<rick at piratpartiet.se> wrote:

> http://falkvinge.net/2011/03/18/should-pirate-parties-include-the-swarm-economy/

I agree with your proposal for a citizens basic income,for the reason
you've outlined. I also think it fits into our ideology for another
reason. Let me explain...

Piratism is founded on the idea that we're transitioning from an
industrial society to an information society.

But does this mean that industry doesn't exist, that we're not making
things any more? Of course not, society still makes things in
ever-increasing amounts. It's just that, because manufacturing is so
efficient, it takes a lot less workers to do so. So the end of the
manufacturing age is (in part) because of the triumph of
manufacturing, because we're figured out how to make nature bend to
our will better than we could in the past.

What does this have to do with citizens basic income? It means that a
basket of goods sufficient to allow people to subsist at a civilised
level -- food, housing, clothes, net access -- can be produced for a
lower fraction of GDP than in the past. This means that a citizens
basic income is now a more viable proposition than in the past.

--
Philip Hunt, <cabalamat at gmail.com>