[pp.int.general] Should Pirate Parties include the coming Swarm Economy as policy?

"Stéphane" carnops at pirateparty.be
Sun Mar 20 02:02:45 CET 2011

> To summarise I proposed that everyone with broadband paid a fixed sum
> every month into one or more funds (of their choosing) which paid
> creators of creative works.

That's quite a problem because a copyright reform doesn't mean copyright
abolition. We don't talk about post-copyright, we talk about
neo-copyright.

The historic goal of copyright was to ensure that an autor would be able
to decide :
1) whether he would disseminate his creation or not.
2) how much he would get paid if he decides to disseminate its creation.

This shouldn't be amalgaled with the actual copyright monopoly, which
relies on autor's exploitation by major labels in 99 % of cases.

If you establish a flat internet tax you impair both principles.

- the public would think "I paid for it so I may do whatever I want".
- if creators have no control over their creation they won't create anymore.

The result is exactly opposite to the intention in your proposition.

Why would you write a blog for free or with Flattr if a journalist could
copy-paste your text and pictures in his paper, being paid for it? After
all, he has paid the tax...

Why would you write/compose a song if anyone else is able to play it live
without even mentioning your name?

Yesterday, I attended a parley about free licensing music (especially
Creative Commons) and I can assure you that very few artists and
independent labels are satisfied with the monopolistic situation, but a
flat tax would be a disaster for them.

They often earn just enough to pay the travel and a snack after their
performance. The largest part of the artists don't want to get rich, they
want to have fun while playing, enjoy the public's cheerfullness and be
able to eat, dress and shelter.

Of course I think Universal Studio is evil, of course I hate the way
MAFIAA works, but the artists are not responsible.

Just remember that those majors do not even need to acquire copyright to
earn billions. They just want to format the content and kill diversity,
because they are money junkies and they only sell what will be bought.

In my opinion, the only way to kneel the bad guys is to support the little
artists, the artists who play the game fairly, little independent labels
who grant more freedom to the listener/reader/viewer (for example under
Creative Commons).

For those who like electro, I share the URL of a small independent label
from my town called Knovel Records who produces only Creative Commons
albums freely downloadable on their website :

http://knovel.empreintesdigitales.be/accueil.php?lg=en

Enjoy !

--
Stéphane a.k.a. Carnops