[pp.int.general] court of arbitration

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 18:33:37 CET 2011

On 3/22/2011 1:14 PM, Maxime Rouquet wrote:
> On 03/22/2011 05:46 PM, Andrew Norton wrote:
>> HOWEVER
>> XII
>> (4)The Board is elected by the General Assembly at the regular sessions
>> or if an extraordinary session is requested for that purpose.
>
> The Court of Arbitration is not the Board. The relevant parts in the
> Statutes are :
>
> IX. General Assembly
> (6) The General Assembly shall adopt its own rules of procedure.
>
> X. Functions of the General Assembly
> (1) The functions of the General Assembly are:
>   (d) to hold elections of the Board, and other committees,

*sigh* since you've not bothered to read the statute (or if you did, you
didn't understand them) you didn't understand the point I was making
"(7) The Court of Arbitration shall have between three and seven
Members. ***The provisions concerning the election of the Members of the
Board and vacancies apply accordingly."***

Thus they could be elected at an extraordinary meeting, which is what
SHOULD have happened.

> There are elections where you just vote "Yes" or "No" or for somebody,
> and there are elections where you decide of the future of an
> organization. Most of the participants, from all over the world, played
> the game and made efforts to be present or watch the stream all the time
> ; not just for the parts they thought were "relevant". (Not to speak
> about the pirates who spent hours driving, or even crossing the
> Mediterranean by boat, just to be here these two days...)

Very commendable for them. Unfortunatly, I could not be there (no matter
how much I wanted to, even if I could afford it) and snince it started
at approx 3am local time, I had to prioritise. THUS that's why we have a
schedule. So that we can make sure we each know what's going to happen,
so we can prepare for it. It allows time for candidates to be proposed,
to be looked at, and decisions made before voting. That way we don't end
up with a court packed by "the only 7 people to nominate themselves".

It's a paradoxical position that you're stuck in. As a member of the
'court' your job is to "e) decide on the validity of legal acts of the
organs of the PPI," However, the only way you CAN rule is to rule it's
legal, because by ruling it illegal you remove your ability to rule it
illegal. Never mind the procedural aspect. The Court is the body that
decides if it's legal, but it's the legality of the court that is being
decided. As it impacts each of the members, you all have to recuse
yourselves, and there is left with no court to decide.

Let's put it this way,
What would you do if they decided that the French National Assembly was
going to be elected in a different way? If instead of being held on a
Sunday from 08hr00-18hr00, they announced in a session that you have to
submit your candidacy there, within 30 minutes. I don't think you'd be
very happy, to which they'll say "oh, but you should have been here and
paying attention, because some of the assembly members drive for hours
to be here!"

It's just not an acceptable method, that an election be called, held and
concluded with no outside notice. It stinks, it's scummy, and it's the
most corrupt way to do things while keeping a winked eye at democracy.
Just whose idea was it?

- --
Andrew Norton
http://ktetch.blogspot.com