[pp.int.general] [Pp-leaders.discussion] EU: ESM-treaty

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 22:30:29 CET 2011

On 05.11.2011 21:45, Philip Hunt wrote:
> On 5 November 2011 20:16, Amelia Andersdotter<teirdes at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> The EFSF is a good thing :)
>> [...]
>> This type of stabilizing fund is meant to correct that. The fund can push
>> money into "poor" regions while their crisis sorts out.
> If that was what was being done, then I would support it. But the EFSF
> is a bank guarantee facility: if a country cannot pay its debts to a
> bank, the EFSF pays the bank. So the money doesn't go to people in
> poor regions, it goes to the bankers.

Sure. It's not a socially stabilizing fund, it's a financially
stabilising fund. If one wants socially stabilising funds, I believe
ones best shot is to have a re-distribution of wealth system, perhaps
based on progressive incomes taxes and social welfare systems that
secure for people health care and education. Like, some kind of
permanent institution rather than a temporary fix crisis fund.

> But the banks already calculated the likelihood of a borrower
> defaulting when they lent the money (and set the interest rate
> accordingly). So why should we, the people, bail out the banks for
> making incompetent decisions?
>
>> The other (and much
>> better) alterantive could be to increase the European Union budget which is
>> currently 5% of EU GDP
> 1.1% according to Wikipedia.

They clubbed a big raise last spring if I'm not mistaken?

>>   to maybe 40-50% of the EU GDP.
> Politically, that's a non-starter, of course.

No shit.

> My solution would be that if some countries, for example Greece, are
> insolvent, let them default on their debts. They would then have to
> choose whether to say in the Euro or not; if they did stay in, they
> would have to have a balanaced budget, because no-one would lend to
> them. If they left, they would be able to finance a deficit by
> printing money (but obviously if they did too much, they would just
> get hyperinflation).

Greek banks and companies own huge resources in Eastern Europe - I'm not
sure how they would be affected by this solution. Would it, for
instance, be justified to give structural development funds to Greek
companies in Romania to invest in Romanian development given that the
Greek company itself is not guaranteed to remain solvent because of the
situation "at home"? And should our solution in this case be to ignore
the screaming needs of infrastructural development in Romania to
accomodate for the inability or unwillingness of the Greek to balance
their budgets?

Having Greece leave the monetary union, and economic union, currently
may seem like an attractive option but it would also be sad.

sincerely,