[pp.int.general] [Pp-leaders.discussion] EU: ESM-treaty

Alexander Bock alexander.bock at piratenpartei-bayern.de
Sun Nov 6 22:59:02 CET 2011

Umm, I'm sorry but fractional reserve banking doesn't quite work like
that. If the reserve requirement were 10%, a bank that receives a
deposit of €1000 could lend out €900. The borrower could then take
these 900 bucks and put them into another account at some bank which
would then be able to lend out €810. That way, in theory, you could
have a 10x money increase, simply by calculating the corresponding
geometrical series. In reality, people don't borrow money and put it
all in another account.

In the Eurozone, the reserve requirement is 2%, not 10% like in the
US. That allows a theoretical money multiplier of 50. In reality it's
around 13. At least it was in 2009, I couldn't find any newer data.

I really don't know what all the half-truths and conspiracy theories
from America are doing in Europe. That's really not something we need
to copy.

Alex