[pp.int.general] [Pp-leaders.discussion] EU: ESM-treaty

Alexander Bock alexander.bock at piratenpartei-bayern.de
Mon Nov 7 10:03:35 CET 2011

The reserve requirement is the amount of money a bank must hold in
cash or deposit at the central bank, calculated from the amount of
money its customers (which are in fact lenders) have deposited at the
bank. A Eurozone bank has to deposit 2% of what it has been given,
i.e. €20 of €1000. It has to work with the remaining €980. At no point
can a bank simply make up money, for example by depositing €1000 and
lending out €50000.

If you're interested in more on this topic, Wikipedia offers a fairly
good introduction. Though I suggest a simple secondary education book
on economics: I learned all of this a few years ago in grade 12 and
13.

Alex