[pp.int.general] Fwd: 18 new MEPs to arrive next month

Philip Hunt cabalamat at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 17 05:01:25 CET 2011

On 15 November 2011 12:56, Justus Römeth <squig at dfpx.de> wrote:
> It does not seem likely that this will be implemented before the next
> election, when the cards will be shuffled again. Now, 25 MEP is a high
> number we can not expect to reach within the next 2 election circles,
> although with the right scandals it could be possible (keep in mind that
> Germany sends the biggest numbers of MEPs and the PPDE polls at 6-8% at the
> moment), so assuming that this will depend on our 2 current MEPs is a bit
> early I think.

I agree we probably won't get 25 MEPs in 2014 -- we're more likely to
get 5-10 from Germany, keep our 2 from Sweden and maybe get one or 2
elsewhere. But by 2019 we'll be bigger and better organised all across
Europe (there aren't even Pirate Parties in all EU countries now --
there will  be by 2019). Also, you can bet that the copyright industry
will try to introduce something like SOPA/PROTECT-IP over here, and
that will cause a lot of outrage, and attention for us. So by 2019
it's likely that we'll be big enough to be our own group.

Will we want to do so? Perhaps we can best serve our interests by
being part of a larger group (maybe an expended Green-Pirate-EFA
group), if that larger group supports Pirate policies.

--
Philip Hunt, <cabalamat at gmail.com>