[pp.int.general] Brendan Molloy's PPI Candidature Speech

Brendan Molloy brendan.molloy at pirateparty.org.au
Sun Apr 15 08:03:45 CEST 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5m_-yH6pnI

Transcript follows:

Hello delegates. I am Brendan Molloy from Pirate Party Australia, and I
am standing for a position on the Pirate Parties International board.
For the past two years I have been elected Secretary of Pirate Party
Australia, and I have previously held posts within their media and
IT/Systems teams. I work in the software industry and am currently
studying an engineering degree part-time.

As a representative of Pirate Parties International, I would represent
transparency and stability. Issues must be dealt with quickly and
appropriately. Some matters should be resolved in the open before they
spiral out of control, and others are more appropriately handled by
forwarding the matter to the Court of Arbitration to be dealt with
properly. I intend to ensure this happens as a member of the board.

Electing me to the board of PPI would mean a new, non-European
perspective. This creates greater diversity than just the dominant
European parties, being more inclusive and improving overall attitudes
of the Pirate Movement.

Having been a remote delegate multiple times now, I also have first hand
experience with the issues that remote delegates face, so should I be
elected to the board, the next General Assembly would have far better
handling of remote delegates.

The current mish-mash of a mailing list and a wiki piggy-backing on
PPDE's infrastructure is proving to not be the most effective mechanism
for communication within PPI. I believe we can solve this through
reviving the website with a more active website/blog, implementing
moderation policies for the mailing lists in order to maintain some
civility and make the website, and not the wiki, the focal point for
PPI. I also believe that PPI should also offer technical services such
as VPN access which should assist in alleviating the funding issues that
PPI has faced since its inception.

I would also like to see PPI become an observer member of WIPO in order
to tip the balance back towards our platform, away from the exploitative
content industry lobbyists.

I have no interest in attaining close, personal relationships with
members of the board, but instead have interest in creating working
professional relationships for the betterment of our cause. You will
find no personal quarrels instigated by me.

I hope that gives you some insight into what a PPI board that includes
me might achieve. Thanks for listening, and enjoy the rest of the
conference.

Good luck to the other candidates!

--
Regards,