[pp.int.general] [RULING] 2012-5 (Validity of 2012 GA Conference)

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 21:37:23 CEST 2012

On 8/17/2012 2:49 PM, Charly Pache wrote:
> Thanks Andrew, sincerity is crucial in our party, I guess indeed that
> people who think everything was all right because the court of
> arbitration decided it are missing the point: we may tolerate what
> happened once but we have really to be better next time.

I would agree, if the SAME thing hadn't been said the year before, after
the CoA fiasco then (where the court was brought up,voted into existence
at the meeting, and then candidacy was opened and elected on the spot,
effectively allowing only those present to stand, and giving no time to
vet candidates at all.

This year we had election rules changed the morning of the election,
including the positions available, and the methods to elect them, and
the means to present candidacy. It was another mess, and on the same
basic topic as the previous years one. You can say 'we have to be better
next time', when it ended up WORSE than last year, when 'we have to be
better' was said then too.

By all the alcohol I saw consumed, there's no doubt that organizers
could manage a piss-up in a brewery, but anything political is clearly
beyond them.

> The problem
> here was the consequence of making the session invalid, it could have
> been seen as a major failure by the press, by our political opponents
> and worst, by our followers.

And then that is the price we should pay. We shouldn't reward
incompetence, or accept it because 'it is easy' or because dealing with
it as we should is hard. Otherwise yes, it's just politics as normal,
and the Pirate movement is just another political group looking out for
its own interests and willing to subvert its principles any time it may
make things hard.

The simple fact is that it WAS invalid by every criteria that should
have mattered. That these were later considered not important enough to
overrule 'inertia' is a worrying precedent.

It just means Do whatever you want, but quickly, and make sure any court
request is tied up long enough to allow us to do something that would be
risky to overturn.

By the way, No date was given for the date of complaint. If the
complaint was made before July 16th, then the Court is in violation of
it's own procedure:
"The Court of Arbitration acknowledges the reception of the complaint
within two days after any of its members has read it. The Court of
Arbitration can issue a motivated reject of the claim within one week
from this acknowledgement. The Court of Arbitration must issue a rule
within thirty days since the complaint was acknowledged."
2 days from complaint received to acknowledgement, 30 days from that to
ruling is 32 days. we'll assume that between the 5 they can manage to
check the court email within 24 hours. So, what date was the complaint
filed, Court? before or after July 16th?

> My guess is if we wanted to look different than the other political
> parties, we should have accept it as a failure. We would really have
> looked like a clean, sane and very honest political party. But on the
> other hand I understand why the court chose otherwise, out of fear of
> unlocking something bad.

Doesn't that say it all then? That they really don't believe the pirate
way? That at the same time that pirate parties worldwide are publicly
proclaiming how they're 'challenging politics', when it comes down to
the internal stuff, it's just as corrupt, as pathetically incestuous as
always, and the bodies charged to keep the party to the principles,
won't because they're afraid to do so.

> Anyway, I guess that concerning the content and the decisions we made
> there, everything went fine and we would have no other conclusions if
> the procedure would have been flawless, furthermore it was a great time
> there, the 250 participants went back full of energy and motivation,

I certainly didn't, and I don't think I'm alone. In fact, not long after
the conference, I stepped down from every position I held at the end of
April, because I was tired of actually believing and following the
principles we espouse, and seeming to be the only one. Instead we're led
by people that seem to want positions so they can get Wikipedia entries,
and add fancy titles to their business cards.

As for my motivation, I suggest you read the liveblog I started 3 hours
into the 2 hour voting block. Might give you an insight into how I felt
at the time.
http://www.ktetch.co.uk/2012/04/liverblogging-ppi-conference.html

> and
> at the end, this is the main point here. Anyway, next time we will have
> a perfect PPI GA, for the external participants as well ;)

Yeah, that too was claimed last year. There's only one way to ensure
that though. That's to make those who are the regular attendees, the
'movers and the shakers' of PPI, attend virtually for a change. Have
their comments be ignored, their input ridiculed, and their ability to
interact be curtailed, and see how they like that (or if they can even
hold on to their positions)

What the hell. I'll submit a proposal for next year, and we'll see how
people like it (of course, the board won't, which is why it'll be
rejected, in favour of another European one)

I know there's a number of journalists here (including Mike Masnick from
techdirt, and Ernesto from TorrentFreak, as well as someone from
Forbes), let's hope the likes of The Register's Orlowski aren't, or the
things the court tried to prevent happening through the ruling, will
happen anyway, and be made WORSE by it (coverups have that effect)

Andrew