[pp.int.general] PPI GA 2013 - Call for Hosts

Patrick Maechler v/o Valio pirate at valio.ch
Sat Dec 8 03:01:46 CET 2012

1. Internet GA vs Real-Life GA:
I personally would absolutely prefer to have internet GAs, if I would
be confident, that at least 33% of the informal exchange that would
happen at a RL-GA would happen (which are IMO important for
strengthening the inner bounds of the movement) and at least 80%
(better: more than 100%) of what could be achieved on formal decisions
and agreements are guaranteed to be possible. The thing is: I'm not
confident yet, that even half of said would be guaranteed without
prior infrastructure standards defined and sufficiently provided.
Yes, the informal parts would be anyway better to happen on a really
broad level (i.e. not just "single" delegates); but here the
discussion on encouraging that is not really happening atm AFAIK.

2. Europe vs Non-Europe of a RL-GA
I have been already last year the second most fierce advocate in the
board (apart from Samir) to have it outside Europe and I completely
agree with Josef: If we have a RL-GA in 2014 it makes way more sense
to have it in Europe and thus hardly any sense not to prefer any
viable offer (the US is neither on the top of my personal imaginary
preference list of "possible nations outside Europe").

-pat