[pp.int.general] PPI GA 2013 - Call for Hosts

Mozart Olbrycht-Palmer mozart.palmer at pp-international.net
Sat Dec 8 05:01:44 CET 2012

On 08/12/2012, at 1:01 PM, Patrick Maechler v/o Valio wrote:

> 1. Internet GA vs Real-Life GA:
> I personally would absolutely prefer to have internet GAs, if I
> would be confident, that at least 33% of the informal exchange that
> would happen at a RL-GA would happen (which are IMO important for
> strengthening the inner bounds of the movement) and at least 80%
> (better: more than 100%) of what could be achieved on formal
> decisions and agreements are guaranteed to be possible. The thing
> is: I'm not confident yet, that even half of said would be
> guaranteed without prior infrastructure standards defined and
> sufficiently provided.
> Yes, the informal parts would be anyway better to happen on a really
> broad level (i.e. not just "single" delegates); but here the
> discussion on encouraging that is not really happening atm AFAIK.

Pirate Party Australia would be in favour of an entirely online
General Assembly conference in 2013 (and beyond).

> 2. Europe vs Non-Europe of a RL-GA
> I have been already last year the second most fierce advocate in the
> board (apart from Samir) to have it outside Europe and I completely
> agree with Josef: If we have a RL-GA in 2014 it makes way more sense
> to have it in Europe and thus hardly any sense not to prefer any
> viable offer (the US is neither on the top of my personal imaginary
> preference list of "possible nations outside Europe").

I disagree that "it makes way more sense to have it in Europe." I
doubt 2014 would not be in Europe, however I was under the impression
PPEU could organise their own events in relation to the European
Parliament elections in 2014. PPI could select a non-EU (or non-
European) host for 2014 too, as it is Pirate Parties International,
and leave PPEU to choose a location for an event for the convenience
of European parties.