[pp.int.general] Online voting versus online discussion

Thomas Bruderer thomas.bruderer at piratenpartei.ch
Tue Dec 11 15:37:41 CET 2012

On 12/11/2012 04:46 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
>      We are very aware of the possibilities and dangers e-Voting gives us.
>      But the strong opposition is not a good idea. e-Voting will come, or has
>      alread come (It is already widley used in switzerland by the state).
>
> That is not a reason, that is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Yes and some of us are living in the real world, and try to solve real
problems.

>      e-Voting, if it is done right is more secure than any paper based voting
>      without encryption could ever be.
>
> Nobody knows whether this is possible.  If it isn't possible,
> then your self-fulfilling prophesy amounts to defeatism.

The question is not as simple as you try to make it.

a.) what are the attack vectors against paper ballots? What are their
risks, likelihood and impact.

b.) What would be the attack vectors against an end-to-end auditable
voting system? What are their risks, likelihood and impact.

Just because paper was used for centuries and we accepted their problems
does not mean that they are not there. There are problems in paper based
votings which are solvable with e-Voting, this is a fact. They have
other problems as you pointed out, but IMHO those are solvable with
enough effort.

Democracy is not the way you vote, it is the acceptance of the results
from it - trust is the most important part to have widely accepted
decisions - I opt for the best solution for voting which we can have.

And even if you want to have the paper trail, cryptographic methods can
actually help you to achieve things which simpley were not possible
before. As Chaum's visual cryptography proposal.

As pirates we embrace the technological progress - it is a bit
short-sighted if we would say: there cannot be technological progress in
voting. Lets keep an open mind, cryptography has done great things over
the past decades. Why should we be able to make secure bank transfers,
but not secure voting?

Kind Regards,
Thomas