[pp.int.general] What is democracy in a party

Zbigniew Łukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 12:04:44 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Carlito <carlito at subvertising.org> wrote:
> So, if the majority expulses members and stop new subscribers you will always have the same "controllers" ad vitam.
>
> IMHO this seems not being a "democratic organization" (the first rule should be alternance of government)

In my opinion the alternance of government is only an indicator of
democracy - if there is no government (i.e. no board in this case) you
can still have a democracy.

>From wikipedia:

Democracy is a form of government in which all eligible citizens have
an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives. Democracy
allows eligible citizens to participate equally—either directly or
through elected representatives—in the proposal, development, and
creation of laws.

With a permanent Liquid Feedback assembly you can have a system that
meets the criteria above.

Even if the organisation was not changing at all and stayed the same
few persons all the time - that would still not really interfere with
the definition above.

Of course if a party (of the size of practically any of our pirate
parties) wants to play any serious role it needs to grow and evolve.
It cannot be a closed system.  But growing is not a requirement for
being democratic.

That said I have my own set of concerns about internet voting and
Liquid Feedback in particular - but this is a subject of another
thread already.

--
Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/