[pp.int.general] Invitation to demonstration against ACTA the 11th of March in front of the European Parliament in Strasbourg

mattias.bjarnemalm at piratpartiet.se mattias.bjarnemalm at piratpartiet.se
Tue Feb 14 20:07:06 CET 2012

As there seem to be some confusion on the matter I'd like to start by
informing you all that Amelia Andersdotter will not be leading any protest
in Strasbourg the 11 th of March. That statement is entirely inaccurate.

Let's start at the beginning.

At 17.05 Amelia received the very same email containing a question wether
she would consider joining the protest. Bellow that part was the same text
as you've all just received on this list. We discussed it briefly in the
office and decided that due to Amelias key position within the internal
political process concerning ACTA it would not be wise for her to lead or
participate in a protest against ACTA outside of the parliament, but that
we would reply that Mr Christian Engström could most likely be convinced
participate. As we where in a hurry to finish the tasks at hand before a
meeting with representatives from one of the major smartphone companies we
did not have the time to go into details such as wether we should inform
the Pirate Party of Alsace that if they intended to send a message to the
European Parliament it would probably be better received if transmitted
when the parliament would actually be in Strasbourg. Which the parliament
will not be on the 11 th of March. The Strasbourg session starts after
lunch on the 12 th of Mars, and anything happening here in the weekends is
as remote from the minds of the MEPs as any demostration in a minor remote
french city would be. What we did have time to decide was that we would
have to write to the Pirate Party of Alsace and explain as to why Ms
Andersdotter would not be able to attend.

At 18.57 we got a new email from the Pirate Party of Alsace telling us to
disregard the previous email and repeating the invitation for Amelia
and/or
Christian to participate. This was 3 minutes before the start of a group
meeting of the Green group so we figured that a reply would have to wait
untill afterwards, or in worst case untill the morning. After all, it
concerned a demonstratation that was due to take place almost four weeks
from now so there seemed to be no hurry.

At 19.05 while in the group meeting for the Green group I notice on my
smartphone that I have a new email on my party email account. As the
meeting was not overly interesting at that time I took the time to read
the
email. Whiched proved to be a good move as it gave me the oppurtunity to
approach Amelia and show her the message and ask how we should handle the
fact that the pirates of Pirate Party Alsace conciders an absence of a
reply for two hours from a question being asked as a confirmation that you
agree with their proposal. Our decision was that I should swiftly leave
the
group meeting and write a reply to this list so as to avoid any rumors of
Amelias participation in a demonstration the 11 th of March starting to
circulate.

I hope that the clarification above can achive that results and should
there be any lingering questions regarding wether she intends to be in
Strasbourg the 11 th of March or not even after this clarification do not
hesitate to contact me directly so that I, to the best of my extent, may
answer any such questions.

Best regards

Mattias Bjärnemalm
Head of Office
Office of Amelia Andersdotter, MEP

European Parliament
ASP 06 E 266
Rue Wiertz 60
1047 Brussels

Tel: +32(0)2 28 47922
Fax: +32(0)2 28 49922
mattias.bjarnemalm at europarl.europa.eu

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 19:00:31 +0100, Parti Pirate Alsace
<alsace.contact at lists.partipirate.org> wrote:
> Dear fellow Pirates,
>
> In France, we are glad to see all the protests against ACTA throughout
> Europe.
>
> The 11th of march we will have huge protests in France, and more
> specifically in Strasbourg.
> The European Parliament will have a session from the 12 of march, so
making
> a protest in Strasbourg, in front of the European Parliament the 11th of
> march, will be a strong signal to them !
>
> Having representatives from all the european Pirate Parties ( and from
all
> around the world, if you can come ) would show our utter determination
> protect the free flows of ideas. The Euro-Congresswoman Amelia
Anderstotter