[pp.int.general] EU commission declares protests as being non democratic ?

Pat Mächler patrick.maechler at pp-international.net
Tue Feb 21 11:06:42 CET 2012

Hi Mab,

Yes, you are correct.
They declare that some intentions behind the protests are not being
democratic in nature.
I apologize for mixing this up.

Then again I find it odd to pull that argument at an issue concerning
a treaty where at least some people have doubts
a) if the process of how it came into existence and
b) if the power and member selection of the intended ACTA commission
adheres to the democratic principle in general.

The sentence in question reads
"“Aber es werde letzlich schwer fallen, die organisierte
Zivilgesellschaft damit zu überzeugen. Dort würden oft Interessen
vertreten, die nicht der breiten Gesellschaft entsprächen. Hier seien
gezielte Aktivitäten zu beobachten, die nicht immer den vorgeblich
demokratischen Absichten gerecht würden."
which I would translate as
"But ultimately it will fall hard to convince the organized civil
society with it. There often interests are represented that do not
correspond to the wider community. Specific activities are to be
observed, which would not always do justice to the the supposedly
democratic intentions."

-pat