[pp.int.general] European citizens' Initiative - ID requirement & data retention

Jerry Weyer jerry.weyer at piratepartei.lu
Sat Jan 7 12:22:30 CET 2012

Hello,

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Francisco George <
francisco.george at gmail.com> wrote:

> In Spain this is quite common.
>
> To be legally accepted a petition for example must include ID's Number
> included as well a the address of signatories.
>
> In the last general elections, parties that were not represented in
> Congress or Senate, have been forced to collect signatures to backup their
> candidature, the official document had to include too ID's number and Zip
> Code of the residence.
>
> Oficial public state bulletins everyday publishes ID's Number and
> residence of candidates to public exams to become functionaries.

And residence is not enough to verify signatures?

It differs from member state to member state which ID number is used. If in
Spain people are used to provide an ID number when signing petitions it's
ok. In other countries it is not. I wanted to inform those people that live
in countries where the requirement of ID number would make it much more
difficult to collect signatures to lobby for a more accessible ECI.

Kind regards,

Jerry

> Best regards

Piratepartei Lëtzebuerg