[pp.int.general] European citizens' Initiative - ID requirement & data retention

Jerry Weyer jerry.weyer at piratepartei.lu
Sat Jan 7 13:12:37 CET 2012

Hi,

If you plan to forge a lot of signatures you can and you will. They say
there exist countries were even elections are manipulated!

That wasn't my point with the initial message anyway. So if people think
the ECI is useful - inform yourselves what your government is planning,
make up your mind if you don't agree lobby for better solutions if
necessary. Sometimes you miss these deadlines (which for ECI is April 1st)
so I wanted to remind you of it.

And if there are people who are interested in an ECI against the data
retention directive and want the support of Luxembourg (we only need 4500
signatures to count as one of the 7 member states needed) - contact me :)

Kind regards,

Jerry

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM, P. Maechler <valio at visionsinteractive.ch>wrote:

> No, the place of residence is not enough for verification; you just need a
> phone book (they become less regular, but still are).

 In Switzerland the verification is primary based on the birthdate; it's
> hard to get that data, although Facebook & co may have simplified that to a
> certain extend.
>
> -pat
>
> Zitat von Jerry Weyer <jerry.weyer at piratepartei.lu>:
>

>  Hello,
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Francisco George <
>> francisco.george at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  In Spain this is quite common.
>>>
>>> To be legally accepted a petition for example must include ID's Number
>>> included as well a the address of signatories.
>>>
>>> In the last general elections, parties that were not represented in
>>> Congress or Senate, have been forced to collect signatures to backup
>>> their
>>> candidature, the official document had to include too ID's number and Zip
>>> Code of the residence.
>>>
>>> Oficial public state bulletins everyday publishes ID's Number and
>>> residence of candidates to public exams to become functionaries.
>>>

>> And residence is not enough to verify signatures?
>>
>> It differs from member state to member state which ID number is used. If
>> in
>> Spain people are used to provide an ID number when signing petitions it's
>> ok. In other countries it is not. I wanted to inform those people that
>> live
>> in countries where the requirement of ID number would make it much more
>> difficult to collect signatures to lobby for a more accessible ECI.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Jerry
>>

>>> Best regards

>> --