[pp.int.general] MegaUpload raided, shut down on request of US authorities

Maxime Rouquet maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
Fri Jan 20 12:48:16 CET 2012

PP-FR has answered to French national TV (France 2) questions, and we
are currently contacted by many other national TV and radios.

Our press release was sent at something like 3am, it is not already on
main PP-FR blog but you can find it here :
https://midi-pyrenees.partipirate.org/2012/01/communique-de-presse-du-parti-pirate-sur-la-fermeture-de-megaupload/

In it we mainly say :

* that we are surprised MU is closed so violently as they had put
mechanism for censorship of links to copyrighted material ;

* that we regret yet another pure repressive action ;

* that instead of giving to copyright industry always more repressive
power we should look for a simple and fair system to allow any
platform to distribute copyrighted work with profit, as far as they
share a fair part of it with the authors and artists who made it ;

* that PP-FR defend legalization of non-profit sharing between
citizens, but also updating and extending the collective management
system voted 30 years ago for "radios libres" (that were called
"pirate", in 2010 the whole system generated up to 1.5 billion €) ;

* (we precise in notes that we also want to set strict transparency
rules and other reforms in this collective system, and remind of FR
Cour des Comptes who made critics and the affairs in Spain...) ;

* we remind we will be present in the next 2012 June National
Parliament elections, and invite every citizen who wants to defend the
same values to join us and run candidate under PP-FR colors ;

* we remind that the ACTA treaty, that is to be ratified by the E.U.
next Thursday, will enforce automatic censorship and surveillance of
communications.

Feel free to pick up all or part of this for your own communication.