[pp.int.general] Towards a secure eDemocracy platform based on Web service standards

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Mon Jul 16 04:20:54 CEST 2012

    Meanwhile, there are middleground options:
    http://www.wombat-voting.com/ I like to show this because I think it has
    some advantages from both options and it is "easy" to replicate in an open
    source way (which is the only thing I miss from Wombat).

It is not feasible for me to browse a web site, so I can't tell what
this package does.  However, if the job is a crucial part of counting
votes, and they can't be recounted manually afterward, it is not
acceptable for state election.

I never advocated open source; libre software is a different idea.
(See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.)
But even if the program is free/libre, that wouldn't make it ok
to depend on in an election.  Elections are a special case.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation