[pp.int.general] MeowCat, a new internet messaging platform

carlo von lynX lynX at pirate.my.buttharp.org
Mon Jul 16 23:02:51 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 05:11:34PM -0300, Aza wrote:
> > you cannot provide neither anonymous public communication nor secure
> > private communication using a website. you have to publish software.
> Yes you can, run tor, enter esfriki, register, publish (you don't even
> need email)
> and secure private comunication just use gpg post the cyphered text and voila.

alright, so you installed two pieces of software to be able to
put something on the web that doesn't expose you. QED.

the role of the web server isnt really clear.. if you use both
tor and pgp you can put your message anywhere.. like a .onion
or an xmpp or irc server.. no reason to become dependent on a
specific website.. and isn't 4chan similar, then?

> Also have you checked https://crypto.cat/ ?

No, because I don't who runs crypto.cat. Your question really is
    "Why don't you try end-to-end encryption in the web browser?"

Because it is impossible to achieve, by design of the web, without trusting your server.
And if you have to trust your server anyway, why make a huge effort to try to put it into the web browser?

http://secushare.org/end2end

But you know.. nothing is as strong as a bad idea whose time has come.

> I'll give this a look, thanks for the input

:)