[pp.int.general] MeowCat, a new internet messaging platform

Nuno Cardoso nuno.cardoso at pp-international.net
Thu Jul 19 07:17:42 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM, carlo von lynX <
lynX at pirate.my.buttharp.org> wrote:

> yes, that's why we might not have true privacy on the internet
> for decades to come. there will always be an attack vector
> written in javascript. unless of course this web-centric
> thinking is stopped and people realize the internet is much
> more than just a web browser

As with everything, some of the technologies "for decades to come" are
already here flying under the radar ;)

Have a look at Retroshare <http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/> ;)

> there are even plenty of web-based telephone systems, and still
> the majority of folks *installs* skype.. so it can't be THAT bad
> to do things outside of the web browser.

And Skype isn't even safe from privacy invasion...So they're already
integrating
speex<http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/retroshare/changeset/5003/trunk/plugins/VOIP/VOIP.pro>(mumble's
codec) in Retroshare also ;)