[pp.int.general] MeowCat, a new internet messaging platform

Nuno Cardoso nuno.cardoso at pp-international.net
Fri Jul 20 17:45:19 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Antonio Garcia <ningunotro at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Nuno,
>
> If you can trace all the connections... sooner or later you will have
> access to enough indiscretions, or even maybe force a few :( , so that the
> encryption in itself will not really matter.

Retroshare is a F2F system. You only connect to those you trust. Everything
is encrypted from connection to connection, so you can't track a single
packet beyond any hop, you can't even know if the information it contained
stopped or continued to a final destination.
The only possible "indiscretions" are those you are willing to connect to,
your Friends, and "force a few" you can't do unless you break
the mathematical laws that provide PGP it's strengths.
Please inform yourself on the technologies before spreading
FUD<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt>,
and if you really found a way to break it please provide a working example
and not some vague rambling that doesn't even make sense. I already saw
this pattern in the LQFB/eVoting debate on the PP-EU list and it starts to
hint a bit of Technophobia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technophobia>.
Sorry to put it so bluntly, but it really, really, really looks like it.

> Yesterday someone was talking about a new service from Google... who would
> scramble the faces on videos you upload for you.
>
> Now, people might find it an interesting feature... but if I were police
> searching for people and evidence... I would have paid for google to offer
> such a service, as a honeypot for naive activists.

So you are comparing a libre open source program with
full scrutiny available by looking at the source code (I did, I even
compile my own copy from source) where the User is in full control to a
proprietary service from mega corporation where the User is the product
being sold and that has policies that force cooperation with governments on
demand? O....K....