[pp.int.general] Global heating: 2 degrees of heating is 16 years away

Philip Hunt cabalamat at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 11:06:49 CEST 2012

On 23 July 2012 14:04, Dario <i at dario.im> wrote:
> Agreed. Next question: what we can do from a pirate POV without being a
> Green spin-off?

One way where Pirates differe from Greens is that there is an
undercurrent of anti-science, anti-technology sentiment in many green
parties, which doesn't exist in Pirate parties.

So I think our approach to solving the climate change problem should
be a science-based one.

The two biggest carbon emitters are China and the USA, and
realistically it is unlikely that either country will go out of its
way to reduce its emissions. They will only do so if it is in their
short term economic interests to do so.

So, how to make it in their short term economic interests? If solar
panels were cheaper, then everyonew would use them as one of the major
ways to produce electricity. Therefore we should promote solar panel
research.

Another technology we could promote is carbon capture, e.g. by
investigating seeding the oceans with iron to promote the growth of
phytoplankton. (see for example
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18885083>)

--
Phil Hunt, <cabalamat at gmail.com>