[pp.int.general] (no subject)

HerNenya isabel.fdez at mundo-r.com
Sat Jul 28 13:09:08 CEST 2012

Ahoy pirates,

Here are my comments in the body of the email. :)

On 28/07/12 09:42, Maxime Rouquet wrote:
> On 07/25/2012 06:05 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
>> Thousands of people died in France 2 or 3 years ago because of great heat.
>> That will happen more, and more often, as heating proceeds.
>
> I would be careful with such argument. It is true that the death-rate
> increased during the heat wave you speak about, but anybody could
> explain to you we had summer heat waves long before the human
> industrialization could cause global warming.
>
> Official death number increase is something like 20'000 in 2003 France,
> while 500'000 people have died in the 1636 heat wave for example.

Mmmm... this reason is not strong enough for me. I think causes of death
in 1636 are not accurate and never will be, without nowadays forensic
studies. Remember: doctors of that age used to bleed their patients
regularly to cure infections... causing the death to most of them. :-/

> Most of the persons who died were particularly vulnerable to the heat
> and lived alone, a large majority of them were old people with a low
> life expectancy. After that, authorities and media took the use to warn
> people about heat dangers, the need to drink water regularly, etc.
>
> This heat wave took us by surprise, but if it had any significant
> impact, it is unlikely that a new one would have the same anyway. Plus,
> given we have had overall a bad weather during summer since then, French
> people might not all be receptive to an argument like "global warming
> will make 2003's summer heat wave more likely to happen".

That heat wave not only affected to France. It also affected to the rest
of Europe, causing in just Spain 15.090 deaths.

We have not such problems here in Galicia, but it affects a lot to other
areas of the State, which suffer temperatures of 40ºC in shade areas at
midday every summer, like Madrid for example.

> I believe the impacts on developing countries would be much more
> significant. They are much more vulnerable to the potable water problems
> on the short-term, and desertification is putting a lot of Saharan
> African countries in a very difficult situation for example.
>
> But sadly, having a few old people dying of heat in France is much more
> interesting for the medias than millions of African people dying and
> African children getting deprived from their future farmland...

That's true, it's sad... but I think it's not the point. The point is to
discuss whether we're going to set the global heating as an important
issue in our programs or not, and also find together viable solutions in
case we include these issues in them.

--
Best Regards,

Isabel Fernandez.