[pp.int.general] Global heating: 2 degrees of heating is 16 years away

Gijs Overvliet govervliet at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 17:35:35 CEST 2012

2012/7/28 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>

>     It states that String theory basically is the only seriously researched
>     field in physics, because other research was just not funded.
>
> A focus on string theory does not invalidate the results that string
> theory researches have found.  (These results do not conclusively
> support string theory.)  At worst, what he says would imply that some
> other interesting lines of theoretical investigation ought to have
> been followed more.

He's physicist who does not work in the field of String theory, and has
enormous difficulty finding funding. Even though he himself has produced
papers that helped the field of theoretical physics move forward.
Worse than that, although he claims that research in String theory has done
much for science, it has done more for mathematics than for physics.

Also, if the funders don't like the direction your research is going, what
would prevent them from stopping the funding for your research?

The point is that funding is important in any scientific research. But then
again, climate science is obviously different.