[pp.int.general] Global heating: 2 degrees of heating is 16 years away

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 20:23:12 CEST 2012

On 7/29/2012 11:35 AM, Gijs Overvliet wrote:

> 2012/7/28 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org <mailto:rms at gnu.org>>
>
>         It states that String theory basically is the only seriously
>     researched
>         field in physics, because other research was just not funded.
>
>     A focus on string theory does not invalidate the results that string
>     theory researches have found.  (These results do not conclusively
>     support string theory.)  At worst, what he says would imply that some
>     other interesting lines of theoretical investigation ought to have
>     been followed more.
>

> He's physicist who does not work in the field of String theory, and has
> enormous difficulty finding funding. Even though he himself has produced
> papers that helped the field of theoretical physics move forward.
> Worse than that, although he claims that research in String theory has
> done much for science, it has done more for mathematics than for physics.

Maybe he needs to change his funding proposals. I work with a team at
the Rutherford Appleton Lab, in the UK, as an outlying piece of the
Neutrino Factory project.

For years, it's been neglected in favour of CERN's LHC, and other such
things. When there was all the excitement about the possibility of
superluminal Neutrinos, then funding picked up (especially since the
Italian detector is the projected mid-range target, with Japan as the
long-range target). Now the LHC has gone 5Sigma on Higgs, we expect more
funding (especially as part of it is a proton beam, that has the
possibility to deal with nuclear waste, and later the system can be
turned into a muon collider, with higher energy impacts than the LHC.

It's all down to your presentation skills though.

BTW, if anyone wants to help out the project, I did a presentation
covering 'the basics' a year ago, here -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GLk5ph4uBk

You can also participate through a distributed computing program
(helping design sections of the accelerator) at
http://www.stephenbrooks.org/muon1 It's Windows-only at present, but
some people have managed to get it running under WINE. Also, if you
already use BOINC, there's a version that can run under that system's
limitations (because it's only good for brute-force, rather than genetic
progression) through the yoyo at home project.

> Also, if the funders don't like the direction your research is going,
> what would prevent them from stopping the funding for your research?

Nothing, and you just have to keep going by finding other sources of funds.

> The point is that funding is important in any scientific research. But
> then again, climate science is obviously different.

Mainly in that it's so heavily politicized.

Andrew

- --
Andrew Norton
http://ktetch.co.uk